Hebron Academy was founded in 1804 as a co-educational institution of learning and is the fifth oldest endowed boarding school in the U.S. From its beginning, Hebron has been an inclusive, supportive educational community that values individuality and respects individual differences.
The campus is located on 1,500 acres in western Maine. Hebron’s first-class academic facilities and labs are complemented by its state-of-the-art athletic facilities, fields, and trail system, which offer miles of biking, skiing, and running opportunities.
In 2021, the Academy has approximately 240 boarding and day students and 80 faculty and staff members. There are approximately 5,500 alumni scattered across the globe.
The Advancement Officer is responsible for helping to develop and expand advancement initiatives in reunion giving, major gifts, and planned giving. The Advancement Officer collaborates with the advancement team to develop giving strategies and stewardship programs that are consistent with a donor-based giving strategy. Reporting to the Director of Advancement and External Relations, the Advancement Officer is an integral member of the advancement team and will provide vision, leadership, energy, and creativity in enhancing a successful and growing giving program.
- Collaborates in the development and execution of strategic plans for advancement in accordance with institutional goals and priorities;
- Researches new prospects and develop new relationships to contribute to bold department goals;
- Organizes prospect visits and prepares briefs, summaries, and follow-up plans;
- Maintains a personal portfolio of major and individual donors and prospects and personally solicits their support for a reunion, major or planned gifts;
- As part of the advancement team, is involved with major events throughout the year: reunions, concerts, career day and other key events, and represents the Academy at these events with donors, board members, faculty, students, and audience members;
- Collaborates with advancement team for special events as they pertain to donor cultivation and recognition;
- Maintains and develops best practices and ensures a coordinated and collaborative approach;
- Establishes credibility and collaborative relationships with administration, Board members, donors, volunteers, and faculty and staff;
- Develops a thorough understanding of the Hebron Academy’s mission, areas of excellence, student population, services, programs, and goals;
- Assures actions and donor information are entered into the donor database in an accurate and timely fashion;
- Works closely with advancement, admissions, and communications and marketing team members to support marketing, digital strategies, publications, and appeals;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of fundraising or marketing experience in education or similar field preferred; experience in major gifts and planned giving a plus;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; adept at crafting proposals, donor correspondence, and other kinds of materials; comfortable and skilled at making presentations to a variety of audiences
- Must possess good judgment and exercise diplomacy in dealing with a variety of constituents; ability to share information as appropriate to the audience;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively; ability to handle multiple projects with high attention to organization and detail; ability to travel and work outside of regular business hours when necessary.
- Excellent organizational skills; thorough attention to detail; accurate maintenance of records;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Professional demeanor and positive attitude;
- Flexibility to work within the needs of an academic environment and to work evenings and weekend;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, digital communication tools, and databases is required. Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge fundraising software is preferred.
If interested in this position, please email a cover letter and resume to Mary Warner at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. We prefer electronic attachments.
Review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This position starts employment on or after July 1, 2021.
Hebron Academy is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.
Criminal background checks are performed on all new hires.