Hebron Academy is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated person to join our Business Office as a Senior Accountant/Office Manager. Working in close partnership with the Account Payable Coordinator, the Student Accounts Coordinator and the CFO/Business Manager, the Senior Accountant is an integral member of the Business Office team providing exceptional customer service to our students families and other constituents.
Who are we?
Our beautiful school is located in western Maine on a 1500-acre campus with trails, ponds, and mountains. We are grounded in our purpose-driven approach as an independent boarding and day school serving students in grades 6 - 12 and a postgraduate year. Learning is anchored in topics that are relevant -- to students and the world -- and we create space for students to drive their own learning with their own questions. Most importantly, we know real learning and belonging can only happen when all students are seen, valued, and engaged. Rooted in Maine, we cultivate trailblazers.
Who are you?
You are meticulous to detail and have exceptional customer service skills. You possess solid work experience in a similar position of responsibility that contributes to sound accounting, financial and management practices. You have a high degree of proficiency with Windows operating system, MS Office (Excel and Word), and Blackbaud software. You have the ability to organize and prioritize your work, and can work independently as well as part of the team. You have strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to multi-task and manage an office. You are excited to contribute to a culture of awareness, understanding, and respect for all individuals and groups, with the ability to communicate in a culturally responsive manner. You seek a deeply relational and intentionally small work community where you will be encouraged and supported to bring your full self to all aspects of your work.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business or the equivalent professional certification or work experience.
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in a similar position of responsibility
- High degree of proficiency with Windows operating systems, MS Office (Excel and Word), and Blackbaud software
- Ability to organize complex set of information and present ideas and numbers clearly (written and verbal). Attention to detail is critical.
- Strong interpersonal skills
What would you do?
Your most important duties are to:
- Review and maintain all cash accounts, transactions and balances including interfund transfers
- Maintain and reconcile the school's general ledger accounting system, including accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Provide monthly close of the school's books and periodic reconciliation of key accounts
- Reconcile 941 to GL and do payroll accruals
- Coordinate and support a strong service orientation to students, faculty, administration and staff while preserving sound internal controls
- Assist in monitoring the annual operating budget, including entering board approved budget and report to department heads monthly
- Serve as liaison on budgetary matters with the various school administrators
- Regularly provide financial analysis and strategic financial support
- Serve as liaison for the annual financial audit
- Reconcile sub-ledgers to general ledger monthly (including posting Odin entries to GL)
- Perform fiscal year-end analysis of accounts and prepare accrual entries
- Approve donation posts to GL (Financial Edge) from Raiser's Edge subledger
- Reconcile bank statements monthly
- Record changes in investment values, interest and fees monthly
- Report Net Tuition Revenue and reconcile Census to GL
- Support schedules for 990 Tax returns
- Other duties as assigned