We consider ourselves lucky to have the resources and amenities of a rural campus community but there is no question - we are connected! The following is an introduction to technology on campus that I hope will answer questions you may have in planning for your arrival.
My name is Andrew Crofton. I am the Technology Director at Hebron Academy and work closely with faculty and students to support all campus technology needs from connectivity to our campus-wide Wi-Fi network to classroom technology integration.
For Upper School Students (grades 9-PG)
At Hebron, we have a Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) program. All students should plan to bring or buy soon after arrival a personal laptop or tablet device for educational use. With a tablet, students should have a keyboard accessory. Devices should have (at minimum) the ability to access the internet through Wi-Fi, the school’s online learning management system myHebron; and the G Suite for Education platform (Gmail and Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets) either through a web browser or an app.
The following devices and broad requirements are designed to help in selecting or purchasing a device for use at Hebron Academy. While there are many options available in the marketplace, these are the minimum specifications that we require to support learning with technology at Hebron.
- MacBook Air - entry-level Apple laptop
- MacBook Pro 13” - high-performance Apple laptop
- Acer Spin 3 - entry-level Windows Laptop
- Dell XPS 15 - high-performance Windows Laptop
- Apple iPad (with keyboard case for typing) - entry-level iPad
- Apple iPad Pro (with keyboard case for typing) - high-performance iPad
- Samsung Chromebook 3 - entry-level Chromebook
- Device must have a battery life of 4+ hours
- Laptop size - 11’’ minimum
- Tablet screen size - 9.7’’ minimum
- Laptop storage - 128GB
- Tablet storage - 32GB
- Laptop memory - 8GB
Operating System Requirements:
- Apple laptops - macOS 10.10 or newer
- Apple iPads - iOS 12 or newer
- Windows laptops - Windows 10
For Middle School Students (grades 6-8)
Middle School students are provided a Chromebook on lease through the school. This computer will remain in their care for the year and they will be able to take home or to the dorm with them at night but will be returned at the conclusion of the school year. More information regarding technology use in the Middle School will be included in the Community Resources Handbook, which will be sent out midsummer.
I look forward to answering any questions you may have over the summer. The best way to reach me is at email@example.com. See you soon!